New Blog Coming Soon!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Greetings Readers!

I've surfaced :) At least for a moment...

The other day I HAD to cut AND glue AND fold AND stitch AND paint AND stamp...SO, I finally have the visual journal I've been working in into a book form! Yes, I admit it...until now I've simply been working on the pages with no cover or binding of any kind ;-)

But first - LOOK!- a cloudy sky over the Blue Cottage - clouds that RAIN fell from and more promised! Yes, REAL WEATHER again in southern California ...you have no idea how AMAZING this is, unless of course you live in southern California :)

***** ***** ***** ***** *****
this JOURNAL is non-perishable
At least I hope it's non-perishable :)
And, yes, that is ME in the photo on the cover - I was three or four and the photo was taken on the beach in Santa Barbara, California. To transfer this photo to my cover I made a photocopy of the original photo and used clear caulking as my transfer medium.
The covers of the journal are made from a recycled US Priority Mail box that I cut to size and coated with a few layers of gesso before I began painting, gluing, etc. to give it a bit more strength and allowing it to take a beating!

The inside of the covers were gessoed, painted and collaged creating a weathered and worn look and feel.

Some pages are completed - other's not so much :)

Inside of back cover...gessoed, painted and collaged.

The journal fanned out (I made 4 signatures with 6 pages each).

Front and Back of journal - sewn in coptic stitch using various colors of waxed linen thread.
This journal was made completely from items I had on hand or items I could recycle.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 1:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    looking at this hand made journal on this freezing friday valley morning i am just amazed about the work you're putting into these colorful warm tinted pages.
    the collages and stitches are so well done.
    don't have a clue how to create these altered books. love it!

    than again there is that comfort, someday on a sun drenched terrace of a tiny villa, somewhere in southern france dressed up with a table, wine, baguette and cheese next to paint and brushes... learning and painting along with you!! ;))

     
  • At 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jolene, your journal looks amazing and I expect no less of you after all those lovely pages you have been drip feeding us with. :D

    I just love the covers and you are so talented to be able to bind it as well.

    xxK

     
  • At 11:08 PM , Blogger tongue in cheek said...

    altered journals, work of art, feelings deep with in, wonderful design! Thanks for sharing!
    How many have you made?

     
  • At 11:20 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    marita: ah, but remember...it is not 'work' when you love what you are doing :) No one can take our dream away of creating art together in the south of France...one day!

    plumcrafty Kate: 'drip feeding' ...ha ha ha...leave it to you!

    tongue in cheek Corey: I am only just learning how to stitch up books and have made about a half dozen to date...I still feel like I am in the 'practice' mode...but gaining a little more confidence with each one.

    Thank You - ALL of you - for such kind words and positive feedback! xox

     
  • At 8:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    YA YA YA YA YA YA YA 100% fan.f*cking.tastic

     
  • At 11:13 PM , Blogger One Love Photo said...

    Very Nice! Oh I think I need to run off and glue something now!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home