New Blog Coming Soon!

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Stitch Like An Egyptian




I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!
And finally I have some photos of proof of what I have been involved in learning.

I became obsessed with the idea of handcrafting my own line of journals. They needed to be a journal that would please the average journal writer, and the artist...or one who does visual journaling. I needed a journal that would lie completely FLAT when writing or drawing in it.

So, this quest took me back to ancient Egypt. Of course.
It was back in the 3rd and 4th Centuries when the Copt's - who were Egyptian Christians- developed this bookmaking concept come to be known as the "Coptic stitch"

And it was a bear to learn. Well, for one who is 'needle and thread impaired' such as I.
I had wonderful help along the way. My sister-friend-neighbor, Kimber, showed me some sewing basics, my daughter displayed a tremendous amount of patience with me- even though I KNOW she was sick of hearing the words 'coptic stitch', my soul-sista's - Linda and Ellen encouraged me daily to keep on truckin', and absolute strangers around the nation offered tutorials and suggestions.

So, here is my first successful journal. It is the beginning. I have found my passion. And I will soon be offering my one-of-a-kind coptic stitch journals for sale.


Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM , Blogger Dagny said...

    It was all worth it. Beautiful.

    Now if you'd just move to Berkeley, I could have helped you as well.

     
  • At 11:37 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Ack!
    You know how to do the Coptic stitch on books?!?!?!

     
  • At 3:24 AM , Blogger Kristin Saegaert said...

    Beautiful work! Wow - your first one looks waaaay better than my first one! Keep it up - you've got it!

     
  • At 8:16 AM , Blogger Gene Black said...

    Looks great. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

    Wow! I love the last few blog post leading up to this...the books on the floor, the notes to yourself, the rusty typewriter...and now the fruit!
    Wow, coptic stitch, those Egyptians knew everything.

     
  • At 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's great Jolene!

    Do you know what this is: "Photo Link"
    (lol)
    ;-)

     
  • At 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I absolutely love the covers to your first Coptic stitched journal! You have such a keen eye in using great papers too! YAY for Jolene....shouts Linda as she shakes her pom-poms! I knew you could do it!
    Linda

     
  • At 11:19 PM , Blogger BellaKarma said...

    I got the joke! I got the joke!
    I better blog soon 'cause I miss how Anon manipulates my entries.

    And thank the Goddesses, Egyptian and otherwise, for you finally figuring out the Coptic Stitch! I was ready to mummify your mouth if I had to hear anymore about it!

    :D

     
  • At 8:11 AM , Blogger Dagny said...

    Can't say that I know that particular stitch but I have always been particularly handy with a needle. My mom taught me to embroider when I was 7 or 8, around the same time that she taught me how to sew.

     
  • At 11:05 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Dagny, from this point forward all sewing questions will be addressed to you :) Thank's for the nice comment on the journal! xox
    ************************************
    Kristin and Gene - I will take that as a virtual 'high five' -which equals TEN...LOL...thanks to both of you!
    ************************************
    Corey - thank you! Yeah, those Egyptian's are almost as brilliant as the French :)
    **********************************
    Linda, without your daily 'you can do it' emails it would have been even tougher! xox
    **********************************
    Anon, I still want to adopt you :)
    LOVE your wit, as always! COP-TICK! LOL!
    **********************************
    Jill I know you love your MUMMY :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home