New Blog Coming Soon!

Sunday, April 15, 2007

I found my thrill...

On Blueberry.................Island :)

I practiced on yet another handbound journal today. Nice quiet way to spend a Sunday...the winds were too strong for a walk along the beach -- and I am not fond of chewing sand :)

Roaming around a used bookstore one day I picked up this authentic 1950's copy of The Bobbsey Twins! Anyone who grew up in the same era as I did will remember them!
The inside pages were less than desirable -- but I knew I could UPCYCLE the covers!
I love a journal that feels 'lived in' already -- no need to be fussing and fretting about scuffing the cover - this one is genuine VINTAGE! I of course being a germaphobic have sanitized it completely!!

I have 14 sections of 5 leaves each, alternating between a 65# white sketching paper and 24# blue all purpose copy paper.
The Coptic stitch is done with natural waxed linen thread imported from Belfast.




Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mija Jolene! What a great looking cover! You made no mention of struggles so this must mean it's becoming second nature to you. YAY! I knew you could do it and I'm proud of you for sticking this through! I see many more cool journals in your future and possibly in our hands!
    When will you start selling these one of a kind works of art?
    Linda

     
  • At 12:06 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Thanks Mija Linda! :)
    No struggles...once I get a couple of stitches done I am on a roll. I have communicated with other handbound bookmakers and they all agree it gets better and better with each one made. This book is only my third.

    If I am able to stay on track and my supplies arrive soon I may have a journal or two available for sale next week! They will be posted here - so stay tuned :)

     
  • At 3:33 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    These are SOOOCOOL!! I love this one. I read a lot of bobbsey twins as a kid. I also loved the Happy Hollisters books! And Cherry Ames - remember her? Vintage kids books - totally my favorite thing!!!

     
  • At 4:11 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Tammy - how COOL that a younger generation (YOU!) have read the Bobbsey Twins! I recall all those you've mentioned...and I keep an eye out for them. Please know that I find ones in less than desirable condition- where I can salvage the cover...in my quest to UPCYCLE whenever possible!

    Thanks for your nice comments!
    Stay tuned, in the next week or two I will be offering some cool handbound authentic upcycled vintage journals for sale :)

     
  • At 2:50 AM , Blogger Kristin Saegaert said...

    Another joyful Bobsey Twins reader here! My kids and I are working through the whole series - we are reading #9 right now I think - Bobsey Twins Adventure in the Big City or something to that effect. Freddie just fell asleep atop the Statue of Liberty and Bert is looking for him! (And I own at least 22 of the Happy Hollisters series mentioned above! We read those when we are waiting for our next Bobsey Twin book to be delivered to our library.) Hubby and I almost had to name our now 4 yr old set of boy/girl twins Flossie and Freddie because my Mom just knew we were going to have twins - somehow! (She died before hubby and I even married - she often teased us about her fictional grandkids-to-be, Flossie and Freddie! Hmmm, not so fictional anymore! Sorry to drag on and on about this - you hit a soft spot in my heart when I saw your beautiful journal! Did you even know you could do that through bookbinding? You can! Will be back to see more and more! Love, love, love this journal!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home