New Blog Coming Soon!

Sunday, May 27, 2007

An Artist? Who? Where?

I had vowed to myself on Friday afternoon - sitting at a red light - seeing the aftermath of a terrible accident on the bridge going over the Back Bay that once my errands were completed I was staying at my art table all weekend. Art is what makes me happy. It defines me.
Or does it?
I awoke on Saturday questioning who I was. An artist? Me? Oh, I dunno. I dabble. I play. I have fun with it. But other people I know are true ARTISTS.

And I found every excuse I could to NOT make art. Vacuuming the already spotless carpet. Preparing things for veggie sandwiches for dinner. Hell, I even made a Jello fruit salad. Pathetic!
I blogged about 'sounds' in the 'hood. Read friends blogs. Wrote emails about nothing in particular. Chair danced to 60s music on iTunes...

Finally I knew I had to create something, because I didn't feel like doing anything!

This is when I fully realized the VALUE of VISUAL JOURNALS.
Playing in my journal doodling with images and words. Expressing myself. Ha!
It was then I felt my spirit lifted. It was then I acknowledged to myself... I am an ARTIST!

(Another page from my junk mail journal. The word SHUTDOWN, the words LIFT YOUR SPIRIT, and the image of the window with the ocean view are all from junk mail I found in my mailbox this past week. Art is all around us. No excuses. Go. Make. Art.)

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger Ellen said...

    Love it...and I knew you were an artist! I knew it...

     
  • At 9:44 PM , Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

    The next time you get the urge to do anything but make art, can you come to my home and clean for me? I'll give you art supplies.
    LOL ;)
    I *LOVE LOVE LOVE* your journal pages. Next time ignore the dust bunnies (even when they're not there but you think they are ;)) and GO make art. Get thee to thee table (or floor or whateva) and make thee some art! NOW.

     
  • At 10:24 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    ellen, thank you - and thanks for always listening to me ramble in my emails :)

    kelly, I think I will print your comment out and stick it above my art table! When Kelly says "GO!", it's difficult to say "NO!" LOL! And thanks - thanks - thanks!

    I spent part of my day painting backgrounds on pages today :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home