New Blog Coming Soon!

Monday, April 23, 2007

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

These are my first two handbound journals I am offering for purchase.
Each of them is an exposed spine Coptic stitch.
The Coptic stitch allows the journal to lie completely flat - which is especially important for visual journaling, as well as ordinary writing.

If these journals interest you for yourself, or a gift - please email me at:
jolene@bellakarma.com
for prices and any further information you would like to know.

* * * * *
BAWDY BALLADS and LUSTY LYRICS
This front cover is an authentic book cover from 1938! It is still covered with the original 'laminated' type cover since that time. Remember: This is from 1938 - so you will see the shelf wear on this cover - yet it is in amazing condition (or I would not have used it!).
The back cover is new - I made it from thick bookboard (archival) and it is covered in an archival paper that compliments the cover and the decade.

Journal cover measures: 4 1/2" x 6 7/8"
Journal paper measures: 4 3/8" x 6 11/16"


(above) Exposed spine with six-needle Coptic stitch. The waxed linen thread is imported from Belfast, Ireland and the colors are BUTTERSCOTCH & BLACK.



(above) Inside paper are alternating signatures of 90# cold-pressed watercolor paper (5 leaves per signature, 4 signatures total) AND 65# fine tooth drawing paper (5 leaves per signature, 4 signatures total). I am generous with my paper :)

(above) Close up of cover illustration.

* * * * *
You Can't Be True!
I love vinyl records and album cover art (we collect!)...sometimes the records are badly damaged...but the covers remain in good condition -- and it is these albums I am using in my journal making.
NO ACTUAL VINYL WAS HARMED DURING THE MAKING OF THESE JOURNALS!

This is an authentic LP cover from the 1960's - Ken Griffin (at the organ!), the title tune was a big hit in 1948.
Journal cover measures: 8" x 9 5/8"
Journal paper measures: 7 3/4" x 9 3/8"


(above) Front of journal where you can see the copper eyelets as well.

(above) Exposed spine, 8-needle Coptic Binding using imported waxed linen thread from Belfast, Ireland in BLACK & RED!

(above) Back of journal is created from the authentic vintage LP back cover.

(above) Journal paper is a 65# fine tooth drawing paper and 28# copy paper.
10 signatures of 4 leaves each. 5 signatures of each paper type.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:16 PM , Blogger BellaKarma said...

    These are so freakin' awesome!
    I want one! I want one! Please mommy!? They look so cool in the photos - but damn - they are incredible 'in the flesh!'

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Maybe if you are a good girl (please no more nun photos Anon!...LOL!) I will make you your very own journal!

     
  • At 10:00 PM , Blogger Dagny said...

    OK. Why did I just get the picture of Jolene standing over Jill while wielding a ruler? *sigh* It's all Anon's fault.

     
  • At 10:05 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    LMAO, I have always been the pacifist -hippie mama -- no rulers, no wire hangers, no violence :)

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    They are lovely! Bravo! Such fine craftmanship. I like the cover choices too.

     
  • At 2:10 PM , Blogger Tosh said...

    Love the Bawdy Ballads Journal. Pick me! Pick me!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home