New Blog Coming Soon!

Friday, June 08, 2007

MEMORIES : DO NOT DISCARD

Simon & Garfunkel sang... "Long ago it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you..."

The song was constantly going through my head as I searched through hundreds of old photos the other day...
I found a photo of myself, once again, on the beach...digging in the sand...and it prompted this Visual Journal entry...


The small text at the bottom reads:
...digging through the layers of MEMORIES
as a kid I was always DIGGING
...in the yard around our HOME
...in the sand at the BEACH.
I loved the ANTICIPATION of what I might FIND.
* * * *
* the junk mail used in this piece were the words: MEMORIES and DO NOT DISCARD.
I painted some 140-pound index paper, then stamped with gesso, applied more acrylics and buffed with an old rag...I then randomly tore pieces and adhered them to my pages to create my 'layers of memories'.
Also note: I turned my journal vertically to create this piece - always a rebel :-)

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a cute summer collage :-)

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Thank you britt-arnhild...ah yes, summer 53 years (give or take) ago...
    :-)

     
  • At 4:57 PM , Blogger Gerushia's New World said...

    Jolne:

    You know what I love to do? I love to enlarge the images of your journal pages. I can see each and every detail. You look to be a tidy and intricate scissor manipulator. I love that!!

    If I told you what I use to cut for my collages, you wouldn't believe me!!

    Kim

     
  • At 5:04 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    garden painter art Kim...well, truth be told..I don't use scissors :) for the junk mail I usually just tear it...for images like the photo of myself in this one I use an X-acto knife.

    Now come on...tell me...what do you use when cutting pieces for your collages?!?!

     
  • At 6:56 PM , Blogger Gerushia's New World said...

    Well.....let's just say, it's a garden tool!!

    Kim

     
  • At 7:11 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    garden painter art....THAT explains your name!!!!!!

     
  • At 7:47 PM , Blogger Gerushia's New World said...

    Yes, that's part of my name. The other part is that I always use an image of my garden in each and every one of my collages. Most of the time it's hidden.

    But, this blog is about your art, and your art is amazing. I love the cultural flair and the very personal feeling of your journal pages.

    Kim

     
  • At 8:02 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Thank you again Kim. A note to my readers: Kim's blog link is on my sidebar (Garden Painter Art)...take time to check out her art :)

     
  • At 10:05 PM , Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

    Two big thumbs up!! Love it as usual.

     
  • At 12:43 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Thank You, Thank You, Kelly! (one for each thumb!) :-)

     
  • At 4:28 AM , Blogger Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

    I love digging through memories and going through your blog brings many memories to me...we share a space in time...your work is beautiful and inspiring...blessings, rebecca

     
  • At 9:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mija Jolene, I absolutely LOVE the way your colors POP against the black background! And that picture of you as a little one is too cute. Thanks for inspiring me! On color, not another child. LOL!!!
    Linda

     
  • At 1:23 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    cre8tiva - I am so glad you enjoy your visits here!

    Mija Linda...what? You don't want another child?!?!?! LOL!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home