New Blog Coming Soon!

Monday, May 14, 2007

Visual Journaling

Although I am now making and selling hand bound coptic journals I must admit I have never kept a visual journal myself (hanging my head in shame!).

So, this weekend, as a means of relaxation I began one.

I am actually working on the pages and then I will bind them into a journal afterwards.

The challenge I gave myself for this one:

All of my images need to come from...
1.) junk mail and catalogs
2.) free magazines (like those found outside the health food and art stores I shop at)
3. my own original art, photography or carved stamps.
At least one piece on the page must be from from numbers 1 & 2 above. Junk mail frustrates me (like I am sure it does most of us), and I wanted to find a way to put it to good use other than tossing it in the recycle bin.

Here is the first page I created.

Click on the image for a better view.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 7:24 PM , Blogger BellaKarma said...

    You know how much I LOVE this...I even gave you a kiss on the cheek when I saw it!

     
  • At 7:40 PM , Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

    WTG!!!
    For someone whose never kept a V.J. before, damn!!!

     
  • At 7:47 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    bellakarma...er...Jill....yeah, I got two kisses in one day from you - what more could a mother ask for ;-)

    kelly - WOW! A compliment from Kelly Kilmer - the QUEEN of Visual Journals ...I am doing a happy dance! LOL! Thanks sweetie!

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mija, I love this page! The color, the image, the whole enchilada! Giant thumbs up girl! Keep it up. Can't wait to see the next page(s)! Do you feel the pressure?!
    Linda

     
  • At 11:11 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    MijaLinda- I hope that enchilada is vegan.. :) Mucho Gracias Sista! Hey...no pressure -- this is for R&R, remember?!?! My Stress-Buster!!!

     
  • At 7:15 AM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Wow!! This is SOCOOL! (still my favorite borrowed word!) I love your "rules" too - I did my very first visual journal page recently too! It's mainly just my sharpie-ized doodles, with some words written in that were weighing on my mind!

     
  • At 9:29 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Tammy, thanks! I love the process of visual journaling. The best part is ...there are NO RULES...I just wanted to challenge myself, and the idea sprung from environmental concerns :) I am always so blown away by the amount of PAPER and INK consumed through JUNK MAIL! ARGH!
    I am also trying to 'loosen up' with my art -- so I am sure my journal pages will begin to reflect that.

     
  • At 11:09 AM , Blogger LadyTulip said...

    ** Wow!! **

    I really really like this...it has such a nice feel to it. And you say this is a first? You are definetly on a roll with this kiddo. Can't wait to see what else you'll create.

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    ladytulip - you always come visiting with such nice things to say. Thank you!

     
  • At 1:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow!! This is fantastic!!! I can't wait to see the other pages!

     
  • At 2:19 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Hey Corey :)
    I will share a page or two from time to time! Thank You!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home