New Blog Coming Soon!

Saturday, May 27, 2006

note to self: one fine day


(if you click on the image it GROWS LARGER before your very eyes!)

Today was all about Artistic Experiments. It has not been easy for me to get back into the creative groove I was in before my Mom became very ill and passed away. I felt uninspired, doubting my artistic self...and not finding the joy in art I once held. After some very deep soul-searching while sitting and gazing out to sea I knew I needed to get back to who I am.

It is taking some baby steps to arouse my muse - and rather than focusing on a 'project' or specific idea I am experimenting with techniques I have been wanting to try.

The experiment above titled ... note to self: one fine day... was a whirl at black and white photocopy image transfers on a piece of canvas. I used Fluid Matt Medium to achieve the transfer - then I scratched the surface with a sharp tool so that I could add various washes of acrylic color.

The idea came to me because while I go about my day doing mundane things - my mind wanders to other places I would like to be...places like France. My Grandmother came from Pau, France and was French -Basque. At the age of seven she boarded a ship to the U.S. ...alone! She had a name tag pinned to her coat ...and the promise of an Aunt waiting for her arrival. Katherine Sarre inspires me everyday of my life..my art studio is named after Grandma - StudioLaSarre.

*******************************************************

(click on the image and see what you're missing!)

Since I acquired my Canon digital I have taken a LOT of boring photos. Ok, some not so boring I suppose...but ordinary. Today I decided I would give myself specific assignments to stretch my photo-art-ops..yeah, I just made that up. :) So, I sought out ARTY looking scenarios..and today I limited it to my room/studio and our front deck. The photo above is of my Grandma Lorenza's old house keys. I have them hanging (as you can see) on the doorknob of my 'Door To Limitless Possiblities'...which is an actual door that I have been altering for some time now as the spirit moves me!

*******************************************************

(click on the image and you might be able to read the temperture!)

Out on the deck my eye immediately went to the worn clay pot and rusted thermometer that my parents have had around since I was a KID! (whew, that's old!).

6 Comments:

  • At 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    MIJA! I can't get enough of your art! POST some MORE! I love the transfer you created and acheived! very cool! I love the image and texture! Is that a stamp of the woman hanging her laundry? I've always thought old keys were special and funky and YOU have found a way to make them look that way! That door is fanstastic btw. Wow, it was hot your way and I'm glad you're watering the flowers! Thanks for sharing....
    LaLinda

     
  • At 11:56 AM , Blogger Krystin Clark said...

    LOVE the keys.... and especially the doorway to unlimited possibilities :)

    Have fun with the camera!

    Creative Wishes!

     
  • At 1:31 PM , Blogger Ruth said...

    Oh man, I LOVE this DOOR...I love love old doors...and I collect keys so I'm digging those too. What are your plans for the door?

    You are doing a great job on this...I'm impressed...and you know what would really personalize this for you and your possibilities...on the back side, make it into a dreamdoor..instead of a dreamboard...you know what I mean??? Just me 'thanking' that's all.
    ruth

     
  • At 1:38 PM , Blogger Ruth said...

    okay, thought I had another place to post about the "one fine day"..Jolene you have come a long way baby...this is fabulous...so cool...I've never tried to do this on canvas...you inspire me...and there is nothing, nothing, nada that is mundane or simple about your work...can't remember what you called it exactly...so didn't mean it sounds bad but coming from my short term memory...not surprising.

    Evidently you found your muse...ruth

     
  • At 11:41 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    LaLinda, Krystin, Ruth..how FUN for me for all of you to stop by :) Thanks so much for the compliments! It does a body good...LOL!

     
  • At 5:39 PM , Blogger jodytheartgypsy said...

    WOW, Jolene,
    what ever 'it'was that you were afraid you couldn't find, you sure stumbled back across it, didn't you? LOVE the work...the keys...ah..they are just screaming for me to reach out and try each and every one, to see what is beyond that door....

    take yourself gently,,,but by all means...take yourself...

    jody

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home