New Blog Coming Soon!

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Grandma's Singer


Grandma Burich's Singer has been with me for many years now. Handed down from my Mom to me...and it will continue to my daughter.

Mom and her sisters Katherine and Marie all made their clothes on this Singer growing up. In the photo above the Singer is their sister, Helen, who died very young-- I doubt she ever did any sewing, but I felt it was the proper place to display her photo above the sewing machine where Grandma probably made the dress she is wearing.

My Mom was a wonderful seamstress, although she would probably deny it if she were here to hear me say it. Thinking back I can recall so many dresses and blouses she made for me during my school years, as well as many 'sew-crafty' items for my daughter and granddaughter.

I never learned to sew.
I tried.
But in my Home Economics class I failed both sewing projects miserably.
The first, a simple pillow case. How can one mess up a pillow case? Easy. Sew both ends SHUT. Yep. That's what I did! :-)

The second project was to make a 'gathered' skirt.
Oh I gathered it all right....all to one side! :-)
Mom would laugh.
She knew I was much better with a drawing instrument in my hand than a needle and thread.

Soon my daughter is going to begin the Fashion program at our local college. She is following her passion...and I am so happy for her. She's always been a lot like her Nana...knitting, crocheting and a flair for fashion.

Grandma Burich would be happy to know the old Singer still inspires.

EDIT**** I need to clarify that Jill uses a new Singer when she sews...here is a link to show you...scroll down when you get to: WHERE JILL SEWS.
She keeps and uses Nana's red sewing basket right next to the Singer :)

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

  • At 5:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    what a beautiful picture jolene!! and the story behind it. just fabulous. i'm sure the picture of helen would make your grandma cry.
    don't worry about not handling thread and needle, your hands and mind create another form of art. jill and marissa are following into the steps of the 'singer' tradition instead. your mom would be proud!! great heritage!!
    looking forward to see more pictures of your cottage interior.

     
  • At 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My grandmother Allam had the same sewing machine and I inherited none of her sewing talents either, though my mother did. It's a beautiful antique though. I saw another just like it in Barcelona, in the show apartment in Gaudi's Casa Mila. Gave me the same pang of nostalgia.

    At least you never put the needle through your finger like I did!

     
  • At 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good luck to your daughter.

    I also have my grandmother's old sewingmachine....though I never use it.

     
  • At 12:14 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Marita, Lee, Britt...thank you all for the nice comments and memories you have shared as well...I did make an EDIT to my post...my daughter, Jill, does not sew on the Singer (it could be easily refurbished to use, but we just haven't done it)...Jill uses her new Singer :)

     
  • At 5:14 PM , Blogger Gene Black said...

    Funny, both my grandmothers could sew (and did) My mom never quite seemed to get it. I can sew but hate everything I make because I see the tiny flaws in it. My sister would take the shirts I made for me (and then wouldn't wear) and they looked great on her.

    My opinion: Sewing skills must skip a generation.

    Thanks for a lovely story and bringing back some fond memories.

     
  • At 5:22 PM , Blogger Dagny said...

    Perhaps you can talk Jill into giving you another lesson ...

     
  • At 6:27 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    gene..I totally agree..sewing skills skip a generation :) Loved what you shared! Thanks!

    dagny...I have tried at times over the years...I have a fear of needle and thread...the same fear I have with math :)

     
  • At 5:57 AM , Blogger LadyTulip said...

    Oh Jolene!! I can and do sew..but when I tried in Jr. High over in Los Alamitos I was Horrible!! But eventually I got the hang of it...and am in the process of making some new curtains. And yes...not only did I NOT thread a sewing maching in High School, I also Failed the class..great for a kids ego...

     
  • At 12:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a perfectly tender post, love the photos too!

     
  • At 12:47 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    ladytulip...glad you eventually got the hang of it...it just isn't my thing that is for sure! :)

    tongue in cheek (Corey)...thank you...and as always, thank you for visting :)

     
  • At 3:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Jolene

    That reminds me of my grandmother's old singer, though I'm not sure where it has now gone. I did see an inventive use of the table in a garden on the way back to the boat in Beffes, it was under a wine barrel full of flowers! (They also had rather creative uses for old toilet bowls as well in that garden...)

    xxKate

     
  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    plumcrafty Kate...welcome back from your holiday in France! I am still loving the awesome postcard you sent me! I am glad my Grandma's Singer brought a memory to you....and yes, some people get really creative with them! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home