New Blog Coming Soon!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

...do I see you coming home :::::


...coming home to me, in your boat on the sea.
-Donovan

The Lynx is a square topsail schooner based in Newport Beach. She is a replica of an American privateer vessel of the same name from around 1812. The original Lynx played its part in running the British blockade, assisting the then almost non-existent American naval forces, and defending the American coastal waters and merchant ships against the Royal Navy.

She serves as an education vessel teaching seamanship to those who step on her deck. Often, when other Tall Ships come to our harbor there is a reenactment of a battle and the cannons are fired....which always grab the attention of those along the beach...I have seen many a tourist with a worried look on their face :-)

To me she is just a beauty to watch as I sit on the cliffs above the beach...this photo I took of her was last winter as she was sailing back into the harbor...I had some fun altering the photo in Photoshop.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:07 AM , Blogger Gene Black said...

    I have to show this to Dave this weekend. He is a old Navy guy -seaman - not the store~!

    I wish he could see her in person.

    thanks
    Gene

     
  • At 8:15 AM , Blogger Tammy said...

    This is gorgeous! I am jealous of the beauty you have near your front door! (although I have a view of the Rockies from mine, so I can't complain!) I'm coming to visit one of these days!! I'll just show up on your doorstep! :)

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Dagny said...

    It's always cool when the Tall Ships come in up here. Lovely photo -- per usual.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home