New Blog Coming Soon!

Friday, October 12, 2007

Caran d' Ache

For quite some time now I have been reading the blog of the AMAZING Kelly Kilmer. I love Kelly - and I love her ART. So often the 'message' in Kelly's art resonates with me.

Kelly has the true heart of an artist...I don't think there is a selfish, egotistical bone in Kelly's body. I appreciate so much how she shares her knowledge so that we can all learn together and become better artists. Kelly is inspiring and encouraging and generous.

I have never had an opportunity to take a workshop with her! It is on my list of 'things I want to do' - and someday it will happen.

One thing that Kelly loves to use in her journaling pieces are Caran d' Ache Water-soluble wax pastels. She often shares the techniques in using them, and even offers to obtain them from Switzerland and sell them to her blog readers.
I happened upon a package of them while cruising the aisles of our local fine art store, Sterling Art, last week and I knew I had to bring them home and give them a try :)


Above: Working in my journal I first randomly applied several layers of acrylic paint using both a brush, a make-up sponge and foam stamps. Then using one of my original hand carved rubber stamps I stamped (the heart) with gesso. After everything was dry I started coloring with the wax pastels. I smooshed them around with my fingers and rubbed them with an old rag. Then I grabbed the first sharp object I found on my art table (a needle I use for bookbinding) and I began to scratch into the pastels. And oh how I loved the effect I was able to achieve! I love creating art that looks like it has a 'history' -- something that has been around for awhile (not new and shiny off the shelf!). I also loved how I was able to achieve depth by layering the wax pastels with the acrylic paints.

Thanks to Kelly I am now a huge fan of Caran d' Ache! This was my first and only experiment so far...a Work In Progress and a background for a journal page. I can't wait to experiment more with this medium :)

Above and Below" Close ups showing the scratched 'aged' look.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM , Blogger Gene Black said...

    Jolene, is that the Neocolor "crayons" like I have at home?

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Hello Gene!
    I am using the Neocolor II set...love 'em! It was the only set my art store had in stock...so I grabbed them :)

     
  • At 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    some new inspiring posts here. you should do this more often jolene!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE HEARTS!!!!!!!!
    some hours of creative work are put in them, please show some more!

     
  • At 3:16 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Marita - thank you! I am working on getting out of my 'art funk'...I think the Caran d' Ache helped :)

     
  • At 7:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is sooo cool! :D

    xxKate

     
  • At 10:29 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    plumcrafty, Kate...thank's! :)

     
  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

    aww shucks Jolene, I'm blushing.

    FYI, The Neocolor IIs are good to start with (not to be confused with the neocolor Is that are oil based and do NOT spread)...The ones that I use and sell, however are the Primo Supreme of art supplies (LOL), Caran d'ache Neo Art watersoluble Wax pastels. These are BIG, fat chunky watersoluble wax crayons. There's a huge difference between the skinny neocolor IIs and the Neo Art wax pastels. I used the neo colors for years until I found the Neo Art. The Neo Art are soooo much better- Like butta, baby!

    Your work is *gorgeous*. I hope that they new toys got you out of your art funk. I LOVE your use of color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 3:07 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Kelly, first of all - Thank YOU for your compliments on my art.

    And thanks for providing ME and MY READERS with even more information on the Caran d'Ache...! My store did not stock the BIG ones!!! They sound fab! Gotta get my hands on those!

    Again, thanks...for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

    Love these..they are gorgeous!!

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Catherine - thank you for visiting - and thank you so much for the compliment!

     
  • At 1:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Look at you GO! These pages are fabulous dahling.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home