New Blog Coming Soon!

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Flashback...

* New Retro Rubber Stamps added today at AlteredInsomnia *

Yesterday when I was in the kitchen preparing this macaroni salad (my Mom's recipe) I had the strangest and most REAL flashback...so real that I actually felt for a moment I was transported back to my Grandparent's home on East 64th Street in Los Angeles during the 1950s.

For some reason unknown I was standing here in my kitchen and I suddenly smelled a steaming pot of eucalyptus leaves on the stove... I saw my Grandpa standing over them, stirring the pot like he would...making a strong tea to help clear his lungs.

I felt the wood chair I sat on as a child and felt the old wooden table where I rested my elbows as I watched. Grandma was at the kitchen sink in her apron, and I saw clearly the tin can that sat upon the counter for scraps since they had no garbage disposals in those days in their homes.

I glanced to my left and looked past the service porch where another of Grandma's aprons hung, and the wringer washing machine sat in the right hand corner...looking into the screened in patio where all our family get-togethers took place at the long wooden table Grandpa had built.

I was overcome and tears shot from my eyes...for a mere brief moment...it all felt so very real.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 7:35 PM , Blogger Dagny said...

    Awwww. How sweet!

     
  • At 4:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That salad looks fantastic, Jolene, what is the recipe?

    Food always reminds me of the past, I remember my grandmother used to make an onion salad (sounds really gross but tasted divine) which was an EVENT as it took 3 days to "cure". Its amazing how just a scent of something or the process can bring back these memories.

    xxKate

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    visions of the past. they seem to pass by enfolding scenes of dear family members suddenly gathering around you. grandma must have been watching over your shoulder while preparing salad...you invited them without realizing it ;))
    the salad looks very tasty, keep a seat for me on the porch jolene at grandpa's hand made table!

     
  • At 3:47 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Wow - what a wonderful memory. I don't think of my grandparents often, but when I do, their memory is so real. I miss them very much!

    (P.S. I'd love to know your salad recipe too!)

     
  • At 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When I saw your picture up in the corner I had my own deja vu expirience...I have a photo of me with just that pose, just those clothes, just that hair cut taken on the beach at Seaside Oregon in about 1950. Would that be what is called convergence?

     
  • At 10:22 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Thanks for all the comments...I am really bad at replying lately :(

    The salad recipe is REALLY simple...and since Mom never measured, neither do I :) Of course its salad macaroni, two jars of diced pimentos, a couple cans of sliced black olives, a couple bunches of sliced green onions, a dash of canola oil, a bigger dash of red wine vinegar and enough mayo to moisten everything together! Mom put diced celery in her's...but we don't care for it so I leave it out ...but it does give a nice crunch :) The main thing is...get it REALLY cold before serving! Oh and salt and pepper to taste and I like to dust the top with paprika 'cause it's pretty...LOL!

    Ellen, I have GOT to see that photo of you!!!!!

     
  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger Gerushia's New World said...

    Jolene:

    How fortunate you are to have such memories of your grandparents. I never knew any of mine.

    Just reading this post, I could also smell the Eucalyptus and see your grandma's aprons. The long wooden table, where is it now?

    Jolene, I envision this memory as though it were in one of my collages.

    Kim
    Garden Painter Art

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home