New Blog Coming Soon!

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Do You Hear What I Hear, Here ;-) ?

I am at a loss for words today. Rare for me, I know.
So, I thought ...if I just sit still for a moment, what do I HEAR?
And then I got to wondering what YOU hear as you sit reading this.
So, here's the deal...
I am going to ramble here for 15 minutes...telling you what I HEAR. After you read this - either on your blog, or in my comments tell me (and others) what you HEAR as you are writing. I thought it would be an interesting idea to help us to know a little more about what our environments are like.
*-*-*-*-*

The loudest thing I hear right now is the crew working across the street building yet another massive multi-million dollar home that replaces an original 'beachy' duplex...the cement mixers, shovels clanging, workers laughing, and sometimes singing beautiful Latin songs have become the norm around here for a few months. It will seem quiet when they are gone. But alas, we can count on other original cottages and duplexes to face the bulldozer on our avenue...
A delivery truck rumbles down the avenue, shifting gears...heading for the market or one of our neighborhood restaurants around the corner. I can hear it's brakes squealing as it approaches our STOP sign...

A dog barks - the mail carrier must not be far away!...

The Newport Beach Police choppers are circling the beach...the thunk-thunk-thunk of it's blades making it difficult for me to hear my music...listening to an iTunes radio station...all Beatles...rifts of Magical Mystery Tour fill my room...

A car traveling way too fast speeds - heading towards the ocean -- and I wonder what the freakin' rush is...you are supposed to relax at the beach!...

Another temporary mail carrier (vacation time around here!) clangs open our mailbox and fumbles with our mail, I can hear him shoving the mail in and quickly slamming the little door shut...

Sirens have begun to wail down Pacific Coast Highway -- a sound that always perks my ears up...a sound we hear all to often living a half block off PCH...

The low rumble of jets approaching John Wayne Airport a few miles inland and the putt-putt-putt of one of the little planes that fly advertising banners over the shoreline on holiday and summer weekends...

A breeze has just picked up and the neighbor's wind chimes are making soft sounds that soothe...
Which are now drowned out by the beep-whack-beep-whack- waa- waa-waa of a car's alarm system!!!

DING!
The timer has signaled my time is done...
Your Turn!
:)


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 4:52 PM , Blogger Mahala said...

    What a fun idea.
    I can hear a clock ticking...
    the office computer humming...
    the occasional car whizzing by at about 30 miles an hour...
    birds singing out the window...
    many birds singing...
    (there is a bird sanctuary behind the office and house)
    Now the window blind is clinking against the window sill from the breeze...
    A humm from the neon "open" sign...
    Pretty serene today...oh well, it's Saturday.

     
  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    It sounds serene for an office setting!!
    Thanks for playing along craftyhala!

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The tic-tic-tic-toc,
    tic-tic-tic-toc of a clock ddil bought me when we were at a Saturday Market a couple or so years ago when my ds and her were visiting from Sweden. The clock almost reminds me of a Paper doll or one of Laini's Ladies. It is evening and I have returned home from going to my dgrnephews Birthday Party, to sit a spell at the computer b/4 I go to bed. Once in a while I will here a vehicle pass by on the street. No planes or jets flying at the moment. The refrigerator is making a hum/ whistle/water type of sound. No it doesn't make ice or you can't get water from the outside of the door either. Now if it was earlier morning I'd hear the birds chripping and singing in harmonies of there own special songs maybe some geese passing over in flight to where ever geese like to go. Sometimes I hear the train blowing it's whistle and the roaring sound they make going down the track in the distance. Sounds like a motorcycle going by right now. Later in the morning people would be driving by and you could hear people talking while walking their dogs to the park or kids playing. Sirens maybe, people working mowing the grass or something. I might of came home and turned on the Television but I hadn't. I like to watch OPB on Saturday evenings. I missed Travels to the Edge with Art Wolfe on OPB tonight. A loud truck just pulled up. I could hear them slamming the door or doors twice. Oh how much I miss living out in the Woods. I Love the Peacefulness of Quite. Soft sounds of a rippling creek or a coyote howling in the near distance or the hoot of an owl. Now that is the life for me.

    Warmly,
    Flassie

     
  • At 11:17 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Flassie - that was so cool! Thank you! I was especially taken by the geese and the whistle of the train. Things we don't hear on the coast where we are at.

    The descriptions of the 'sounds' are really painting pictures for me.

     
  • At 1:39 AM , Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

    hellooooooooooooooo from UK & via Violette's forum...sitting here at 9.30am on a grey Sunday morning I can hear the fan of my computer and the gentle thumping of the dishwasher downstairs as it cleans up the pots after last night's indoor BBQ which hubby & I enjoyed whilst watching a programme about Children's TV programmes from the 1950's & 60's....how it brought back memories!
    In the near distance I can hear the engine of the tractor in the farm opposite our house as Mick the farmer starts his day. I have just heard the bell of my puss Ella, she is laying on the bedroom windowsill next door. Now and again I hear a car pass the house and the gentle breathing of my German Shepherd Wilma, here on the floor by my feet. I can hear the birds in the front garden as they feed their young. Occasionally I hear pheasants...if I was brave ie it is cold, I could open my window and hear the cows mooing in the field opposite our house, but as I have said it is cold outside!

    Dx

     
  • At 8:17 AM , Blogger Dagny said...

    I hear the hum of the fridge.
    Dumb is whining while her collar rattles from walking around. (Please do not let the barking start again.)
    There are birds chirping outside the window.
    Other than that, it is a very quiet Sunday morning.

     
  • At 11:02 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    mrsnesbitt - not only did you paint a picture in my mind...I went to your blog and actually saw the cows!!!! Thanks for playing along - I am really enjoying the 'visuals' from what people hear!

    dagny - it sounds like a peaceful Sunday! Hope Dumb is still only rattling and not barking :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home