New Blog Coming Soon!

Friday, July 28, 2006

::::: Mixing Up The Media :::::

Frida Kahlo's last journal entry read:

"I hope the end is joyful - and I hope never to come back - Frida."

And yet, in truth she never really left us, she is still to this day a feminist icon and inspiration to many artists.
I have been greatly influenced by the 'colores' of Frida and her rich Mexican heritage - and I pay homage to her in this mixed media piece I just completed.
I have chosen a favorite quote of Frida's...

Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly?

~ please click on each image for a better view~
~remember - once clicked on, another click will reveal even more details~

I chose a 10x20 stretched canvas for my piece...flipping it over and working on the back side so that the wooden stretcher bars became my frame. Covering the 'frame' in heavy gesso I used foam stamps to create texture. As in most of my work I strive to create a 'sense of history' - as though the art was just uncovered and dusted off from someone's basement or attic and newly discovered. My background was built using acrylics, stamps, gel pens, and tissue paper as I attempted to create the look and the feel of a Mexican wall inlaid with tiles - worn with time.

My image of Frida is printed on tissue paper and adhered directly to my backgound so that the colors 'bleed' through and create depth. I have embellished her image with a crocheted piece that was dyed with distress ink, dried flowers and a cloth butterfly wing.

I made an image transfer (using fluid matt medium) and transfered the quote on to a piece of unbleached muslin that I frayed and distressed - it is randomly stitched directly on to the canvas using embroidery thread.

A close up of the 'frame' that was painted in an antique white and then I applied a copper colored Rub and Buff product to achieve aging. The stamped image into the gesso gives great texture and interest.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:59 PM , Blogger Gene Black said...

    That is an interesting piece. I wish I could get right up close and touch it.

    You certainly acheived your desire to make it look aged. I wondered where you found that old frame until I read the text.
    Good job

     
  • At 12:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I absolutely LOVE the colors and the way you worked the canvas to achieve the look you created. Stunning. Very clever how you stamped into the gesso to give the frame interest and texture. Great quote too! I only wish I could have discovered this acheological treasure. I love everything about this masterpiece of yours. Bravo! Bravo! Said as I am clapping my slippers together! Frida would be proud of you!
    LaLinda

     
  • At 4:19 AM , Blogger Ruth said...

    This is gorgeous Jolene...love it. And how clever and innovative are you...using the backside of the stretched canvas? It actually has the feel of an old antique window frame.

    I believe this piece would impress Frida herself, you really moved me. I can feel the amount of thought and love that went into the creation of this piece...and oh my the details are amazing.

    I'm not sure what place in your heart this piece came from..but wherever or whatever...you need to go back there...I have a feeling there's a deep well overflowing.

    xxoo Ruth

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Blogger Dagny said...

    Ooo. I love Frida. A few years ago I had the pleasure of going to SF MOMA for the Rivera/Kahlo show. It was fantastic! And your piece? Fantastic as well. So like her work.

     
  • At 3:16 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Gene...It is in truth a very tactile piece- it is difficult not to run your fingers across it to feel all the textures- thank you for your comments.

    LaLinda...You came to mind often during my creation of this piece - your sense of 'colores' and your sharing of the rich Mexican culture that I so love is as always a huge inspiration to me, thank you.

    Ruth...thank you for overwhelming me with your kind comments- I am so glad the details struck you - I used the piece of tissue paper for Frida's image so that the 'colores' and 'textures' of Mexico would show through her face - as they did in her art - thank you for your comments.

    Dagny...I am in deep-envy mode upon hearing that you saw Rivera's and Kahlo's creations first hand. It would be akin to a spiritual experience for me!- thank you for such kudos on my piece.

     
  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Dagny said...

    Jolene, if you ever find yourself in San Francisco, there are two Rivera murals there. One is in the SF City Club and the other at City College.

     
  • At 12:13 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    jolene! This is totally amazing!! I LOVE it!! The amount of detail you thought out and added is great. There are so many levels and layers.

    Totally SOCOOL!

    Hugs!

     
  • At 11:43 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Dagny - I had NO idea there were two Rivera murals in SF! Damn, missed opportunities..I will make seeing them a priority if I am EVER that way again. Thanks for cluing me in! :)

    Tammy - I was hoping you would drop by to take a look -- it is always a joy to share my art (and political opinions) with you ;) Thanks so much.

     
  • At 1:14 PM , Blogger LadyTulip said...

    Oh Jolene! -- This piece is just fabulous ~~ I can sense the energy you must have felt while making this. It's feels very warm and comfortable; something like being in an old home with good friends. It brings me joy

     
  • At 4:21 PM , Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

    Jolene, Thqnk you for visiting my blog and leaving such a wonderfully dear comment.
    The art you have created here is true to the style and color of Frida, with your own touch to make it celebrate her strong courage and poetic brushstrokes with life.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home