New Blog Coming Soon!

Monday, May 21, 2007

I Have Such Cool Friends :)

Tomorrow is my Dad's 92nd birthday. I got this crazy idea of how I would love to have an old photograph of my parents done as a painting for his gift. Of course I am not that kind of artist.
So, I turned to my wonderfully groovy talented friend, Ellen - who is an amazing artist. Ellen was two years ahead of me in high school - and we never knew one another. We did share the same art instructor...and Mr. Cochrane would always share Ellen's work with me when I was taking his Commercial Art classes. I was a huge fan of Ellen, and she didn't even know it!
Years...hmmm...okay...light years later...I was playing around on Classmates.com and I came upon our high school message board. Lo and behold - Ellen had left a post. I quickly replied to her telling her how I was so happy to have found a way to let her know, years later, that I was in awe of her artistic ability.
And a friendship began.
I LOVE the Internet!

So, a few weeks ago I scanned a favorite photo of my parents together. This was taken in 1938, six months after my parents were married in Los Angeles. The photo was taken on the steps of the courthouse in Santa Barbara, California. The coastal town of Santa Barbara has always been a favorite destination for our family all of my life. It is filled with fun memories of long summer days on the beach, walking around the eclectic shops, and savoring all the rich history of the area.

Ellen took a look at this photo and worked her MAGIC...

Thank You Ellen -- you ROCK girlfriend!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 6:27 PM , Blogger Dagny said...

    Ellen most definitely rocks. What a great way to remember your parents.

     
  • At 6:59 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Dagny, I just added a link to Ellen's name in my post...you can enjoy more of her art there!

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger Bratfink said...

    Oh, that has me in tears!

    I LOVE Santa Barbara. My beloved Uncle Wally said it was his favorite place [he was a retired commander from the Navy.]

    That is just one awesome story!

     
  • At 7:39 PM , Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

    That is awesome AWESOME
    Your Dad is going to love it! Aren't artist friends the best?? :) I hope that your Dad has a wonderful birthday...

     
  • At 7:50 PM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    brat - Santa Barbara is special to a lot of us! I am glad it reminded you of a favorite uncle.

    Kelly - I agree! And thanks for the birthday wish for my Dad sweetie!

     
  • At 11:17 PM , Blogger Gerushia's New World said...

    Jolene:

    I love, love, love that vintage picture of your mom and dad. You know me, those old photos are my passion. Until I scanned down a little further and saw the awesome painting by your artist friend, I was thinking, "wow, that photo would make a great "happy couple" collage!!

    I'm off to your Etsy shop and I'll heart you!

    Kim
    Garden Painter Art

     
  • At 12:03 AM , Blogger ~jolene said...

    Thank you Kim! I am so thrilled about the painting - my Dad will be so surprised!!

    And thanks for putting me in your favorites on Etsy :)

     
  • At 8:53 AM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Wow! That is SO amazing!! :) She does great work. I imagine your dad will be totally amazed!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home